How To Clean a Pool Deck & More with Wet & Forget
Lounging by the pool with a cold drink in hand is one of the joys of summer. Don’t let green and black stains spoil your pool party! Here we’ll provide an overview of pool surround materials and how to keep them clean. If you’re wondering how to clean a pool, surround, or deck, read on!
What pool, deck, and outdoor surfaces can Wet & Forget clean?
Don’t let ugly and slippery growths spoil your pool party! Wet & Forget cleans pool surrounds, decks, liners, cages, lanais, decorative tile, walls, pool furniture, and most outdoor surfaces.
There are three different forms of Wet & Forget Outdoor. The Wet & Forget Concentrate is ideal to use for precise applications, such as algae stains on your decking near the pool and pool walls*. Wet & Forget Ready To Use is best used on smaller surfaces, such as patio furniture or planters. Lastly, Wet & Forget Hose End is ideal for large surfaces such as pool decking and lanais. Read on to find out how to apply the Wet & Forget Outdoor products to your pool surfaces!
*Wet & Forget is not registered for use to treat algae suspended in pool water.
Will Wet & Forget harm the pH of my pool water?
Wet & Forget is nearly pH-neutral, so there’s no worry about the product affecting your pool’s pH. If a little overspray gets into your pool, it will not change or harm the pH of the water.
Here’s how to clean a pool surround or deck with Wet & Forget
- Mix 1 part Wet & Forget Concentrate with 5 parts water in your tank sprayer.
- Spray the dry pool surround with Wet & Forget.
- Let the surround dry completely- a minimum of 4 to 5 hours. (Check the weather forecast for chances of rain before application.)
- You’re done! Just walk away and let Wet & Forget Outdoor do the work for you.
- Retreat your surround yearly, if needed, or at the first sign of re-growth.
Note: If you’re applying to a large patio or decking near a pool, consider using Wet & Forget Hose End.
Click here to learn how prep your pool for closing with Wet & Forget!
Can Wet & Forget clean the inside of my pool, too?
Do your pool walls feel slippery to the touch? This is one of the first signs of algae. A pool left with untreated algae will eventually change the water to a smelly, dirty brown. Algae is a furry-looking growth that shows up on pool walls, steps, corners, and anywhere where water circulation is limited. Wet & Forget gets rid of slimy, smelly algae growing on pool walls where the water line hits the surface. Here’s the how to clean a pool interior with the Wet & Forget Concentrate to remove algae growing along the water line:
- Lower the water level until algae growth is exposed to the air.
- Allow exposed areas to fully dry – usually overnight or longer.
- Mix the Wet & Forget Concentrate in a garden pump sprayer, using a 1 part Wet & Forget to 5 parts water dilution ratio.
- Spray the affected areas with the product allowing for a minimum of 4 to 5 hours drying time. (Check the weather forecast for chances of rain before you spray.)
- Raise the pool water to the desired level. You’re done!
- Wet & Forget Outdoor’s spray-on-and-leave formula works with the water to remove ugly algae stains on your pool’s surfaces. No scrubbing or scraping required!
- Retreat your pool yearly if needed, or at the first sign of re-growth.
Note: Wet & Forget is not registered for use to remove suspended algae in your pool.
If you’re starting with an empty pool or have to empty your pool and need to treat algae stains across the entire bottom of your pool, we recommend emptying your pool, allowing it to dry, then using Wet & Forget Hose End here, allowing it to dry, and refilling your pool. Do not spray Wet & Forget into pool water to treat algae stains on pool walls.
Can I use Wet & Forget on a diving board?
Absolutely! Wet & Forget works over time with the rain and wind to gently clean up any green and black stains on your diving board (see customer submitted photos above). Here’s how to apply:
- Mix the Wet & Forget Concentrate in your garden pump sprayer using a 1 part Wet & Forget to 5 parts water dilution ratio.
- Spray the Wet & Forget onto a dry diving board.
- Allow the product 4-6 hours to dry completely before getting wet.
- The next day, give your diving board a quick rinse down with water before use.
- You’re done! The rain, wind, and even pool water will help agitate the surface to lift up the stains.
What about dirty poolside furniture and outdoor fabrics?
Outdoor furniture can become dirty and attract unsightly growths as well. Patio cushions, umbrellas, and other outdoor fabrics can develop mold and mildew stains- especially when near a moisture-prone pool area.
Wet & Forget Outdoor Ready eliminates mold and mildew on outdoor furniture and fabrics, leaving poolside surfaces fresh and clean.
Here’s how to clean pool furniture with Wet & Forget Outdoor–
- Dilute the Wet & Forget Concentrate in your garden pump sprayer using a 1 part Wet & Forget to 5 parts water mixing ratio and spray the product to all dirty, stained surfaces.
- Allow furniture soft and hard surfaces to dry thoroughly- overnight or longer is best.
- The following day, rinse the furniture with the garden hose and allow furniture and fabrics to dry before use.
- Repeat yearly, or as needed to keep your pool furniture clean and fresh for the next pool party.
Note: If you’re applying to patio cushions or one chair, consider using Wet & Forget Ready To Use.
How do I clean a stained patio umbrella?
A dirty or stained patio umbrella can detract from the beauty of your poolside oasis. Here’s how to wipe out mold and mildew on fabric pool umbrellas:
- Mix 1 part Wet & Forget Outdoor Concentrate with 5 parts water in a pump-style garden sprayer.
- Spray the umbrella, allowing for 4 to 5 hours of drying time. (Check the weather forecast for chances of rain before you spray.) Let the fabric dry thoroughly.
- If stains are on the underside of the umbrella and not exposed to the elements, periodically spray the umbrella with a garden hose until mold and mildew stains disappear.
What materials are pool surrounds and decks made of?
The hardscape area surrounding your pool is called a surround, deck, or decking. If you’ve purchased a home with an existing pool, you may be wondering what your pool surround is made of. And it’s great information to know before you clean pool surfaces.
In-ground Pool Surrounds
Surrounds for in-ground pools are usually made of concrete, natural stone, brick, wood, tile, pavers, artificial turf, composite, or a combination of two or more materials.
Concrete surrounds Pool water sitting on a concrete surround can make way for mold, mildew, or green algae to develop. Black algae and lichen can also take hold.
Brick surrounds Moss and algae grows easily on brick surrounds. And when moss-covered bricks become wet, they create a slipping hazard. Prevent slips and falls with regular cleaning.
Natural wood surrounds Wood surrounds require a seasonal cleaning, sanding, and application of sealant. Because unsealed wood absorbs water, maintenance is important.
Natural stone or flagstone surrounds are usually made of:
Tile surrounds This type of pool surround can become slippery when wet, so it’s important to keep them clean to prevent falls.
Composite surrounds This is a popular alternative to natural wood because they are weather resistant and require little maintenance, although some budget brands and older composite pool surrounds aren’t resistant to mold and mildew.
Artificial turf surrounds Although fake grass is nearly maintenance-free, messes like spilled drinks or puppy ‘accidents’ will require cleanup. Artificial turf is also susceptible to mold and mildew growth.
Above-ground Pool Surrounds
An above-ground pool surround or ‘framework’ is usually constructed of wood or composite.
High-end above-ground, concrete pools often have decorative veneers made of mosaic tile or natural stone. Also, they may be edged with river rock or pea gravel, providing an easy-care alternative to landscaping.
If you’re wondering how to clean a pool surround, deck, or poolside furniture, Wet & Forget has you covered. Celebrate your splash pad this summer with Wet & Forget!